Grassroots officials range in age from 11 to senior officials who are working games at the U7, U9, U11, U13, U15 Male A and B, and Female U18 A levels and below. Through the support of the Grassroots Officiating Committee officials at these levels should receive coaching and support throughout the season.
» Grassroots Task Team
» Grassroots Officials Role
- With their partners; officials will be responsible for administering the rules of the game to ensure it is played in a fair and safe manner for all participants
- Understand basic rules and procedures
- Confidence in managing a game and developing as an official
- Get an opportunity to make some money
- Have fun and want to come back the following year
» Junior Grassroots Official Development
- Combination of classroom/virtual, on-ice session and in game coaching
- Focus on gaining experience and development opportunities
- Learn by doing
- Assigned enough games to enjoy officiating
» Keys to Development
- Understanding their role as an official in 2-Official and Modified 3-Official systems (Possibly 4-Official System in some centres)
- Understanding of the rules and procedures for the appropriate roles and levels of hockey.
- Understand positioning and hustle to get in the right position.
- Understanding linespersons calls and procedures
- Understand referee procedures, penalty selection and time penalties.
- Gain confidence in their role.
» Support Provided by
- Local Minor Hockey Association (Assignor/Local RIC/Experienced Officials)
- Grassroots Official Coaches and On-Ice Mentors
- Grassroots Officiating Committee
- Officiating Development Program