Non-Sanctioned Winter Hockey Policy Procedures
a) Parents of players participating in non-sanctioned winter hockey
Any parents of players participating in non-sanctioned winter hockey are subject to indefinite suspension from being a registered team official within Hockey Saskatchewan as well as ineligible for being a member of any minor hockey association’s Board of Directors or league executive.
Hockey Saskatchewan recognizes that individuals have the right to make choices in the type of programming they wish to participate, however Hockey Saskatchewan must protect the integrity of the winter season of programming.
b) Frequently Asked Questions
i. Can my son or daughter play both Hockey Saskatchewan Sanctioned and Non-Sanctioned hockey at the same time during the Winter season?
- No – They must choose which program they wish to participate within.
ii. If there is a dispute over whether a program is Sanctioned or Non-Sanctioned, who makes the determination?
- Hockey Saskatchewan Board of Directors and Staff have the absolute discretion to define a program as Sanctioned or Non-Sanctioned.
- Hockey Programming that focuses on the development of hockey skills, power skating, etc., such as those programs sanctioned as Hockey Saskatchewan “Skills Licensees,” which do not incorporate team formation and the playing of games throughout the winter months are not considered Non-Sanctioned Hockey Programming.
iii. If my son or daughter plays an entire Winter season of Non-Sanctioned hockey, can they return to Hockey Saskatchewan Sanctioned hockey the following Winter season?
- Yes – They can without a concession application and approval providing the MHA accepts the player’s registration. However, they would be restricted from registering with, or affiliating to, a team at the highest level of Hockey (AAA, AA, Tier 1 or Carded team).
- Example: A first-year U11 plays in a Non-Sanctioned Program for a year. He can return the following season to Hockey Sask programs however would not be eligible to register with, or affiliate to an U11 Team at the highest level of U11 nor a carded U11 team.
iv. If my son or daughter participates in games in Non-Sanctioned hockey prior to September 30th of the current season and wishes to return to Hockey Saskatchewan Sanctioned programming prior to October 31st of the current season, are they able to?
- Yes – They can without a concession application and approval providing the MHA accepts the player’s registration. However, they would be restricted from registering with, or affiliating to, a team at the highest level of Hockey (AAA, AA, Tier 1 or Carded team for the current season.
v. If my son or daughter participates in games in Non-Sanctioned hockey after October 31st of the current season and wishes to return to Hockey Saskatchewan Sanctioned programming, are they able to?
- No – The final date to apply for a concession to return is October 31st. Following that date, there is no opportunity to return during the current winter season.
vi. If I am coaching a Non-Sanctioned team can I coach a team in Hockey Saskatchewan Sanctioned programming?
- No – As an adult, you are making the decision to coach in a program outside Hockey Saskatchewan jurisdiction during the winter months and therefore are ineligible to coach within Hockey Saskatchewan Sanctioned programming. Hockey Saskatchewan supplements the cost of training coaches throughout the province annually to ensure players receive the instruction from competent coaches to assist in their development as a player. Therefore, Hockey Saskatchewan will not allow those same coaches to participate in non-sanctioned programming during the winter months which is competing with Hockey Saskatchewan programming.
vii. If I serve as a coach of a Non-Sanctioned Team during a Winter season, can I return to coach the following winter season within Hockey Saskatchewan?
- No – All those people involved in coaching, a team official of any kind (i.e.: Trainer; Manager) or a Team or League Administrator (League Scheduler, Commissioner, President, etc.), within a Non-Sanctioned program, are indefinitely barred from further involvement in Hockey Saskatchewan programming.
- For example, an individual serves as a coach on an U11 Non-Sanctioned winter team, they are indefinitely barred from serving as a team official with any Hockey Saskatchewan Sanctioned winter team.
viii. If I referee or serve as a linesman in Non-Sanctioned Winter season games may I still officiate in Hockey Saskatchewan sanctioned games?
- No – All those people involved in officiating within a Non-Sanctioned program, are indefinitely barred from further involvement in Hockey Saskatchewan programming.
ix. If I am indefinitely barred from Hockey Saskatchewan sanctioned Winter activity what is the process to attempt to be reinstated so that I can participate in future Hockey Saskatchewan sanctioned winter programming?
- The Hockey Saskatchewan Appeal Procedure is located on the Hockey Saskatchewan website and must be followed if you wish to be reinstated from the indefinitely barred decision.
x. Can players participate in Non-Sanctioned Winter activity and Hockey Saskatchewan Programming such as the Sask First Male and Female Programs?
- No – Access to these programs is a privilege that is offered to and reserved for the proud members of Hockey Sask. Players would be ineligible for Hockey Sask Programming for the corresponding number of years they played Non-Sanctioned Hockey.
- For example: A first year U15 player participates for a full season on Non-Sanctioned Hockey. If they return to Hockey Saskatchewan Sanctioned Hockey, they would not be eligible to register with, or affiliate to, a team at the U15 AA level nor would they be eligible for the Sask First Program for second year U15 players.
xi. If I place my Novice aged son in a Non-Sanctioned Winter League and I am not a team official of any kind with that Non-Sanctioned team, can I serve as a team official with my daughters’ team who is registered with Hockey Saskatchewan?
- No – You cannot.
xii. If my child plays within a Non-Sanctioned Winter League or I Coach/Manage a team within a Non-Sanctioned winter League, can I access Hockey Canada/Hockey Saskatchewan insurance?
- No – Hockey Saskatchewan strongly recommends you investigate the levels and types of insurance coverage you have if you choose to participate in a Non-Sanctioned winter League.
xiii. If my child plays within a Non-Sanctioned Winter League for one season and then he returns to Hockey Saskatchewan Sanctioned Hockey the following year, can I serve on my local Minor Hockey Association Board? I was never involved as a team official with the Non-Sanctioned Program.
- No – Like Team Officials and Referees/Linesmen, parents who have chosen to take their child outside of Hockey Saskatchewan Sanctioned Programs are indefinitely barred from participating in Hockey Saskatchewan Sanctioned MHA/League or Team Official positions.